Phone: (720) 473-4242
Ed Brown joined Davis Schilken, PC as a shareholder, bringing with him his more than twenty-five years of extensive experience in areas of comprehensive estate planning, asset protection and taxation.
Mr. Brown is an AV-rated attorney who is admitted to practice law in Colorado, and is also a Certified Public Accountant.
Ed Brown focuses his practice on trust designs that are customized to the clients’ goals of (A) protection of assets for their family and (B) having added flexibility in their comprehensive estate plans to allow maximizing options with regard to changing circumstances and evolving laws.
- Master in Laws in Taxation from the University of Denver
- Juris Doctor degree from the University of Denver
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Finance and Accounting, cum laude, from West Virginia University
Ed Brown speaks frequently to professional organizations on a wide range of legal subjects including complex estate planning, asset protection and related subject matters. He has been, and continues to be, invited to speak across the country.
A sampling of Mr. Brown’s more recent presentations:
- Webinar offered through West LegalEdcenter on Select Federal and State Income, Gift and Estate Tax Issues and Filing Requirements for Domestic and Foreign Trusts for Estate
- Planning and Asset Protection Attorneys
- Ethics programs offered through West LegalEdcenter about advising clients on protecting assets
- AAA-CPA programs on comprehensive estate and asset protection planning
- West LegalEdcenter programs on the perceived erosions and enhancements of asset protection trends and multiple other estate planning and asset protection webinars
- National Business Institute live webinars and programs on (1) self-settled trusts and (2) domestic and offshore asset protection trusts
- CLE International programs on asset protection planning
- State Bar of California Young Tax Lawyers – Silicon Valley Chapter regarding estate planning and enhanced goal achievement
- Foxmoor Continuing Education program on the “Colorado Complete Trust” course
- Lorman Educational Services national audio conferences
- Denver Tax Council on Tax Compliance
- Southpac Trust International conferences (in the Bahamas and in Las Vegas) on various asset protection and administration topics
He has also authored numerous articles on a variety of legal topics that have appeared in local and national publications such as the Journal of Practical Estate Planning, Journal of Taxation, Journal of International Taxation, The Tax Adviser, Asset Protection Journal, Journal of Financial Planning, The Colorado Lawyer, and Estate Planning. He is also a co-author of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions of the Asset Protection Planning Guide, a Wolters Kluwer, CCH publication, as well as a contributing author to Asset Protection Strategies, published by the American Bar Association. He was also a lead author for the Colorado Estate Planning Handbook (Orange Book Handbook) Chapter on Irrevocable Trusts (including “asset protection” trusts) published by the Colorado Bar Association.
A sampling of Mr. Brown’s more recent articles:
- Trusts & Estates: Divorce and the Self-Settled Trust
- The CPA Journal: The Advantages of Beneficiary-Favored Trusts
- Trusts & Estates: Protecting Family Inheritances from Divorce
- Colorado Lawyer: Inheritance Protection for Married Children
- Estate Planning: Asset Protection for the Business and Professional Practice
- Journal of International Taxation: A Guide to Foreign Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
- The Tax Adviser: Third-Party Trusts Integrated Estate and Asset-Protection Planning
- American Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- American Academy of Attorney-CPAs
- Rocky Mountain Estate Planning Council