Colorado Living Trusts

Two of the most common estate planning tools are wills and trusts. While almost everyone has some idea of what a last will and testament is, many people are hazy on the details of what a trust is. Adding to the lack of clarity is the use of the term “living trust,” which is heard increasingly frequently. What exactly is a living trust? What are its advantages? If you have a living trust, do you still need a last will and testament? Continue reading

What is a Transfer on Death Agreement?

It is never easy to deal with a death in the family, but the process of grieving can be made worse when assets needed by family members are tied up in probate. Fortunately, there are options that allow assets to pass directly from a deceased person, or decedent, to his or her intended beneficiaries without going through probate in Colorado. One such option is “transfer on death” (TOD) agreements, which are also referred to as “payable on death” (POD) agreements. Continue reading

Safe Deposit Boxes

Safe Deposit Boxes: Advice from a Denver Probate Attorney
If you were to ask one hundred people on the street in Denver the safest place to store valuables and important papers, a majority would probably answer, “a safe deposit box.” In many ways, they’d be right. A safe deposit box located in a bank has security that no homeowner could begin to duplicate. However, “safest” doesn’t always equal “best.” Continue reading

When and How to Contest a Colorado Will

When and How to Contest a Colorado Last Will and Testament
As difficult as it is when a loved one dies, that pain can be compounded when you discover that your loved one’s ​Last Will and Testament didn’t say what you thought it did. Sometimes there’s nothing you can, or should, do about a will that contains surprising or disappointing provisions. Continue reading

Why do I need a Gun Trust?

All NFA items must be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Individual owners wishing to purchase an NFA item must obtain approval from the ATF by obtain a signature from the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) who is the county sheriff or city or town chief of police, pass an extensive background check to include submitting a photograph and fingerprints, fully register the firearm, receive ATF written permission before taking possession of, or moving the firearm across state lines, and pay a tax.  A GUNLOCKER TRUST™ will not allow you to avoid taxes; it does make every other aspect of acquiring, owning, and transferring your NFA firearm much simpler. Continue reading